Cafe Manager for the Corn Hall café – Fredricks at the Corn Hall
As part of the major project to refurbish the Corn Hall arts and heritage centre in Diss last year, we opened a new cafe in the venue in conjunction with Fredricks Fine Foods. The cafe is a key element of the customer experience during the daytime and at evening events, serving gourmet coffees, teas and soft drinks, as well as a range of delicious food and snacks. This is an exciting opportunity for someone experienced in food retail who is enthusiastic about developing a new friendly and welcoming place for people to eat, drink and relax in Diss.
Job Outline Description
To manage Fredricks at the Corn Hall café to deliver great food and drink, friendly and efficient customer service, motivated and well-trained staff and to collaborate with Fredricks Fine Foods and the Corn Hall Operations Manager to optimise profits, whilst remaining consistent with the highest food quality and presentation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing all aspects of the daily running of the café in liaison with Fredricks Fine Foods ensuring its smooth running and proper administration.
- Undertaking the preparation and presentation of the food and beverages served in the café to agreed standards.
- Liaising and working with Fredricks Fine Foods and the Corn Hall staff regarding planning menus, stock management and ordering.
- Ensuring that the café environment – including all dining areas – are, clean, pleasant and welcoming in line with the image agreed.
- Managing and training assistants and any additional staff or volunteers and managing staff rotas.
- Operating the till, maintaining the float and carrying out reconciliation daily.
- Ensuring the cafe equipment is operated, cleaned and maintained in accordance with manufacturers instructions.
- To maintain a cleaning regime in accordance with all Food Hygiene and Health and Safety Regulations and Guidance and keeping daily cleaning and temperature records.
- Providing refreshments for Corn Hall hire bookings as required in liaison with Corn Hall staff.
- Attending Corn Hall staff meetings as required.
- Serving customers in a pleasant and courteous manner to create a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
- General cafe duties including operating the coffee machine, waiting on and clearing tables and washing up.
- Ensuring that any risk assessments are complied with.
- Handling customer enquiries and complaints.
- Contributing to the successful implementation of new cafe developments and initiatives.
- Assisting with any other duties in the Corn Hall that may be reasonably asked of you.
This job description is a guide to the nature of the work. It is not wholly comprehensive or restrictive and may be reviewed as required; other responsibilities may be added depending on experience and need.
Essential Skills, Attributes and Experience
- Food hygiene or Food Handling Certificate Level 3 (Assistance in achieving this will be made available).
- Experience in a food retail environment.
- Experience working in a customer-facing environment.
- Motivated to deliver consistently high standards of food and service.
- Show care and attention to detail.
- Good administrative abilities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills and a polite and friendly manner.
- Financial awareness to handle cash and stock and to complete weekly business returns.
- Computer literate.
- The ability to follow health and safety practices.
- The ability to motivate and manage staff.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- Physically fit, the role requires performing manual handling tasks and standing for extended periods.
- Flexibility to work within the opening hours of the Corn Hall, including evenings and weekends. You may be required to work shifts and split shifts (working mornings and evenings, with time off in between).
- A high level of personal hygiene and a smart appearance.
- Previous management experience, especially in food retail.
- Able to use Excel or accounting software.
- An interest in the arts and/or history.
Key Terms of Employment
- This is a 12 month fixed contract and is subject to a 3 month probationary period and continued ongoing satisfactory performance. The contract would be expected to be extended if the café performance is good.
- The hours per week are 32, not including meal breaks. There are no overtime payments but time off in lieu is negotiable with the Corn Hall Operations Manager.
- The salary is £16,000 per annum (equivalent to £18,750 for a 37.5 hour week).
- The holiday entitlement is 28 days per annum including 8 days public holidays.
- An apron will be provided but you will be required to wear your own white shirt, or black top, black trousers or skirt.
The Diss Corn Hall Trust is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. All staff members are required to adhere to the Corn Hall’s Equal Opportunities Policy, a copy of which will be given to the successful candidate.
Please email your CV and a covering letter ASAP to: Operations Manager – Clare Robinson: [email protected]
The Corn Hall, Diss. Norfolk IP22 4LB 01379 652241 www.thecornhall.co.uk